Situated on the edge of the Mesa the los Santos near Bucaramanga (Colombia) Refugio de la Roca is one of the best climbing hostels we visited. It houses you from tents, dorms, small huts to luxury cottages (caba de la nube) with stunning views. The staff Refugio la Roca is very nice and friendly and prepares excellent food. Not to say the climbing at the very nearby crag La Mojarra is absolutely awesome.
What We liked at Refugio la roca Colombia
- Stunning views and the location
- The beautifully built cottages at the rim of the canyon
- Crag and the climbing
- A free guidebook
- The yoga house with views over the canyon
- Meeting very nice people from all over the world
- Very good food
- Public kitchen
- Small shops nearby to by water and have laundry done
Things that could be a bit better
- Renting gear is quite expensive. A rope was at around 11 EUR / 12$ a day and it was not the newest one. So better bring your own gear.
- Room reservation hasn´t work even if booked months in advance. Better reasure everything is fine just before arriving. The good thing: they provided a good solution in another room.
- From 7.50 EUR / $ for a dormitory to 55 EUR / $ for the luxury cottages (ecottage, la nube)
- Camping: call for pricing
Getting there and away
Even Refugio la Roca is situated on a remote place it is quite easy getting there and away by public transport. Busses running all day long between Los Santos and Bucaramanga or the junction Los Curos, where you pass from or to Sam Gil / Bogotá. The bus station is just 50m away from the hostel.
To Bucaramanga town it takes you approx. 1.5h. See detailed info here
- Website: http://www.refugiolarocacolombia.com/
- Restaurant Menu: http://www.refugiolarocacolombia.com/#!restaurante—restaurant/c1jx1
- More Reviews: https://www.tripadvisor.de/Hotel_Review-g2440192-d3924034-Reviews-Refugio_la_Roca-Piedecuesta_Santander_Department.html
- Blogpost: http://blog.eddiebauer.com/2015/08/06/lambert-and-earle-unlock-the-secrets-of-la-mojarra-colombia/
- Blogpost: https://readingrunningcycling.wordpress.com/2016/03/29/the-hostel-you-have-to-see-in-the-santander-region-of-colombia/